Thursday, July 18, 2019

Kitty's Quick Guide: Words of Encouragement

Have you ever wondered how you can encourage, thank, or praise a friend or family member in Japanese? Here's my quick guide, filled with kind things we can say to people. I'll add to this list as I continue to learn.


行きましょう!


Words of Encouragement


ありがとう!
"Thanks!"
A casual way of thanking a person.

すごい!
"Amazing" / "Awesome!"
This one is pretty much interchangeable with the English phrases "awesome," "wow," or "cool!"

すばらしい!
"Wonderful" / "Excellent" / "Great!"

すてき!
"Lovely!"

がんばって!
"Do your best!"
This is often translated as and used in the context of "good luck," but that's not what it means. がんばって is a request for a person to give their best effort.

よくやったね!
"You did well!" / "Well done!"

じょうず!
"You are good at it!" Literally, "skilled."
When I get to speak with Japanese people who know I'm learning their language, they often tell me "じょうず!" Even though I have a long way to go, it makes me feel good when they tell me I'm using the little bit that I know correctly.

おつかれさまでした!
"Thanks for your hard work!"
This one is a little different. It's a term commonly used in the workplace, and it literally means something along the lines of "You are tired." It's a way to acknowledge that someone is tired from working hard, and it expresses your appreciation for their effort. Since it's in the past tense (でした), only use it for a job that's already finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments clean!