Monday, July 29, 2019

Duolingo Study Notes: Intro 1

Lesson 1
Katakana
ア : a
メ : me
リ : ri
カ : ka
ガ : ga

Vocabulary
アメリカ : (n) the US


Lesson 2
Katakana
マ : ma
シ : shi
ジ : ji
ヨ : yo
ン : n

Vocabulary
マリア : (n) Maria
ジョン : (n) John


Lesson 3
Vocabulary
はじめまして : (expression) Nice to meet you. (literally, "this is the first time we've met.")
です : (v) be/is
アメリカ人 : (n) American (person)
出身 (しゅっしん): (n) from, origin, hometown


Kanji Meanings & Mnemonics
人 : person
Doesn't this one look a little like a stick person with their arms behind their back where you can't see them?

出: exit
To me, this kanji looks like someone throwing their arms and legs up in a panic as they dash to exit the building!

身: somebody
That long, slanted stroke looks like somebody is reaching for a delicious three-layer cake. There's even a cherry on top!


Grammar
はじめましてジョンです。Nice to meet you, I'm John.
アメリカ人です。I am American.
アメリカ出身です。I am from the US.
どうぞよろしく。Nice to meet you.
はじめましてマリアです。Nice to meet you, I'm Maria.




Lesson 4
Vocabulary
日本 (にほん) : (n) Japan
中国 (ちゅうごく) : (n) China (literally, "middle country")


Kanji Meanings & Mnemonics
日 : sun, day
Imagine looking out your bedroom window at the brand-new, sunny day.

本 : origin, book
Do you think it takes one tree to make a book?

     Radicals:
     木 : tree
     一 : one

中 :  middle, inside
Looks like the arrow went straight through the middle of the box and stuck inside!

国 : country
The king always stays safe in the enclosure of his country.

     Radicals:
     王 : king
     囗 : enclosure


Grammar
中国出身です。 I am from China.
中国人です。 I am Chinese.
日本出身です。 I am from Japan.
日本人です。 I am Japanese.



Lesson 5
Vocabulary
本田 (ほんだ) : (n) Honda (family name)
田中 (たなか) : (n) Tanaka (family name)
と言います (といいます) : (v) is named, is called
さん : (polite honorific suffix)
は : (particle) Marks the subject of the sentence.

Kanji Meanings & Mnemonics
田 : rice field
This kanji looks like a tidy little field, doesn't it? Look at the nice paths that cross through it. Just like a Studio Ghibli movie. Wanna watch Totoro?

言 : say
The horizontal strokes look like sound waves coming up from a radio as it says words.


Grammar
はじめまして本田です。 Nice to meet you, I'm Honda.
はじめましてジョン言います。 Nice to meet you, my name is John. (Literally, "I'm called John," or "say Tanaka.")
はじめまして田中言います。 Nice to meet you, my name is Tanaka. (Literally, "I'm called Tanaka," or "say Tanaka.")
マリアさん中国出身です。 Ms. Maria is from China.
田中さん日本人です。 Ms. Tanaka is Japanese.
ジョンさんアメリカ人です。 John is American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments clean!