Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Bible Vocabulary: イエスの家族 (Jesus' Family)

Let's learn the names of some well-known Bible characters in Japanese! Today we'll learn to read and say the names of Jesus' family.


行きましょう! Click the link below to learn with me!

You can look up the scriptures in your own Bible if you like, or you can follow along with the one I use. Here's a link where you can read it online for free: New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

Since these names are all written in katakana, it'll be great reading practice! Especially for me, since my katakana isn't quite as strong as my hiragana is yet.

Vocabulary


イエス : Jesus, the name given to God's son while he was on the earth. (John 17:3)

エホバ : Jehovah, God's name and Jesus' heavenly father. (Proverbs 8:22, Psalm 83:18)

マリア : Mary, Jesus' human mother. (Luke 1:30, 31)

ヨセフ : Joseph, a carpenter, Mary's husband, and Jesus' adoptive father. (Matthew 1:16)

エリサベツ : Elizabeth, a relative of Mary, husband of the priest Zechariah, and mother of John. (Luke 1:13)

ヨハネ : John the Baptizer, son of Elizabeth. He prepared the way for Jesus' preaching work. (Luke 1:60, Acts 13:24)


Here's a bonus: I made a Quizlet flashcard deck for us to practice these new names!


Great job! This was fun, and I think we learned a lot. I'd like to write more lessons like this in the future. What sort of word collections would you like to see? Let me know in the comments!

またね!
-Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments clean!